Tuesday, July 22, 2014

An Open Letter to Holy Lute from an Anonymous Horseplayer - It's Not You, It's Me

Dear Holy Lute,

Hi, how are you? It's me, Anonymous Horseplayer. It has been a while since I have written you. I have been busy with legal crap, writing, trying to figure out what the hell is going on in The Leftovers, pedigree research, and confronting the beginning of a mid-life crisis. I hope you have fully recovered from the 8th race on Saturday at Del Mar.

Unfortunately, this letter is not the positive type I usually send you. But first, I want to talk about our past together how we got to this point.  I followed you from the beginning because your dad, Midnight Lute, was one of my favorites. In fact, I bred a mare to Midnight Lute and now I have a yearling filly by your dad. It started as a mild flirtation in the Summer of '13 when you won your second start at Del Mar. You then beat a very good horse in Fury Kapcori in the El Cajon stakes in your next start. At that point, I had serious crush on your racing career.

But then you started to get distant (or distanced) in the Breeders' Cup and the Malibu. I really needed your help on Breeders' Cup day. Earlier on the card I had all five horses that crossed the line first in the Pick 5. However, She's a Tiger was disqualified by the stewards, which pretty much ruined a really big payoff for me. I really needed you to pick up the pieces of my ripped up tickets and heart in the Dirt Mile, but you fell to pieces instead.

When you came back this year, I watched from a distance. I felt you were not happy or were having (Breathing) issues. I waited to see how you would respond to being back before I approached you again.

I felt the time was right on Saturday to continue my relationship with you. I put together a small Pick 4 ticket with you and then a few other horses in the next three legs. I got Burning Arch at 3-1, Dress Code at 4-1 and Istanford at 10-1. Just needed you to win. But again, you teased me:

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/members/video/index.cfm?race_code=201407192040DMD8

(Click Flash Pan)

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/DMR071914USA8.pdf

Could you not have put that nose down a little faster? Could you have not cut the corner a little closer? 1/2 an inch.

You see there are two things that are challenge to me in our relationship: (1) I spend a lot of time watching and figuring out races and predicting who is going to win and it hurts my feelings when I don't. Handicapping is like a chess match with that crazy IBM machine Deep Blue. The only difference is my handicapping it not going to figure out how to replicate itself and develop it's own army of Artificial Intelligence machines to take over the universe. (2) Daddy needs the scratch. Now look, the Pick 4 paid $4,350 for a $1 investment. I know if you won I probably would have received only a $1,000. But you have to understand, the very first thing I bought my wife was a Tiffany's ring so she expects the best of everything now. I have a dog that eats a Bison worth of food everyday. I have a cat whose middle name is "Luxury". And then there is the two broodmares who eat like….well, horses.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I decided to leave you. It's not you, it is me.

Also, I met someone else. Her name is Luminance:

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/members/video/index.cfm?race_code=201407202033DMD8

I will always want the best for you. We will always have that Summer of 2013' in Del Mar together.

Always Love Your Animals (including Holy Lute),

Anonymous Horseplayer

No comments: